[R] mgcv: inclusion of random intercept in model - based on p-value of smooth or anova?

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Thu Jul 19 11:23:50 CEST 2012

Martin,

I've just submitted mgcv_1.7-19 to CRAN, which includes a major upgrade
of the p-value computation for random effect terms (and any other smooth
term which can be penalized to zero as part of estimation). The new
p-values are still conditional on the smoothing parameter/variance
component estimates, but given those estimates are based on the null
distribution of the restricted likelihood ratio statistic. Basically, if
you are going to condition on the smoothing parameters, then this is the
right thing to do, but if smoothing parameter estimates are very
uncertain, then the p-values may be underestimates (in simulations the
underestimation seems to be rather modest).

In the Gaussian mixed additive model case, the alternative is to use the
RLRsim package, while for GLMMs the only way to further improve things
is by writing code to simulate for the null distribution of the test
statistic...

Thanks for pushing be into action on this!

best,
Simon