[R] help building dataset

walcotteric walcott3 at msu.edu
Mon Jul 23 20:32:07 CEST 2012

I'm having trouble building a dataset. I'm working with Census data from
Brazil, and the particular set I'm trying to get into right now is a
microdata sample which has 4 data files that are saved at .txt files full of
numbers. The folder also has  lot of excel sheets and other text files
describing the data, and (I'm assuming) to help organize everything.
Unfortunately there isn't much help in the description about how to
construct the dataset and avoid messing things up (since its Census data, I
need to make sure I avoid associating data with the wrong city/state, etc.).

I basically just need to be able to put the data in readable format, because
there's literally 1 variable in the set that I can't find anywhere else and
need to get at for some analysis. However, when I've tried to get the data
straight into R (copy from NotePad), it overloads R, and R stops responding.

Any suggestions? Or, if there isn't enough information about the set to be
helpful, what else do you need to know?
Or if you'd like to take a look at the data let me know and I can attach it.

Thanks!