[R] Integrate(dnorm) with different mean and standard deviation help

arun smartpink111 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 04:42:55 CEST 2012

Hi,
Check this link (https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2010-February/227902.html).

Hope it helps.

A.K.

----- Original Message -----
From: FJ M <chicagobrownblue at hotmail.com>
To: R <r-help at r-project.org>
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2012 10:23 PM
Subject: [R] Integrate(dnorm) with different mean and standard deviation help

I'm trying to provide different parameters to the integrate function for various probability functions. I'm using dnorm as the simplest example here. For instance integrate(dnorm, -1.96, 1.96) produces the correct answer for a normal distribution with mean 0 and standard deviation 1. I've tried two ways to use mean=2.0 and standard deviation 1, but with no luck. The examples follow.

> integrate(dnorm, -1.96, 1.96)
0.9500042 with absolute error < 1e-11
> mean = 2.0
> sd = 1.0
> integrate(dnorm, -1.96, 1.96)
0.9500042 with absolute error < 1e-11
> integrate(dnorm(mean=2.0,sd=1.0), -1.96, 1.96)
Error in .Internal(dnorm(x, mean, sd, log)) : 'x' is missing
Calls: integrate -> match.fun -> dnorm
Execution halted

How do I change the built in mean=0 and standard deviation=1 for dnorm using integrate?

Thanks,

Frank
Chicago, IL
    [[alternative HTML version deleted]]