[R] Linear mixed-effect models and model selection

David_txertudi at yahoo.com David_txertudi at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 08:51:51 CEST 2012

Not sure about the first question without knowing more about your model and research aims. As for the second, there are a number of methods that can be used to select models--F tests and other variance comparisons being among the most common.  Given your examiner's comment about parsimony, I'm thinking a BIC or AIC might be helpful. Available in R as AIC() and BIC(), they describe the tradeoff between model complexity and accuracy (more or less). Both penalize additional terms (BIC does so more strongly) to avoid "over fitting", but reward goodness of fit in likeliness models. They do not by themselves provide an absolute measure of goodness of fit, however.   Does that help at all?

David