[R] Adjust the position of main in par(mfrow)

phillen phlentner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 11:28:58 CEST 2012

hey guys

I want two plots in one window with an overall title and with individual
titles for each plots.

my code:

par(mfrow=c(2,1))
bp_dirverq1=boxplot(dirverq1, col="orange",horizontal=TRUE, main="Q1
2012",cex.main=0.7)
bp_dirverq2=boxplot(dirverq2, col="orange",horizontal=TRUE, main="Q2
2012",cex.main=0.7)
title("Direktveranlagung in %",outer=TRUE)

Problem: The individual titles are too far away from the plots.
Consequently, only the half part of the overall title is within the graph.

1. I need to get the individual titles of closer to the individual graphs.
2. I need to get the overall title to be withing the graphic window.

Any suggestions?

cheers