[R] Linking to C type short?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Fri Jul 27 03:06:33 CEST 2012

On 7/26/2012 4:51 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 12-07-26 4:22 PM, Spencer Graves wrote:
>> Hello, All:
>>

>>         What references exist on how to link to C?
>>

>>         I'm familiar with sections 5.2 and 5.6 of the "Writing R
>> Extension" manual plus chapter 6 of Venables and Ripley (2000) S
>> Programming (Springer).  From these, I get the following:
>>

>> R storage mode   C type
>> logical          int *
>> integer          int *
>> double           double *
>> complex          Rcomplex *
>> character        char **
>> raw              unsigned char *
>> list             SEXP *
>> R object         SEXP
>>

>>         "integer" and "int" are 32 bits.  If I understand correctly,
>> "short" has only 16 bits = 2 bytes.
>
> I imagine that depends on the platform and compiler.
>

>>         Should I define any "short" vector in C as a matrix with 2 rows
>> of type either "raw" or "char"?
>
> What do you want to do with it in R?  If you want to use .C() and just
> want it to be an opaque blob, then a raw vector is probably best.
> Have one C function that figures out the size in bytes of the blob,
> then allocate a raw vector of that size, and call a different function
> to fill it in (or the same function with different arguments...). If
> you actually want to work with the short values, then you'll need to
> convert them to a type that R understands, most likely int (but double
> would work too).

       I have DICOM (.dcm) files from Computed Tomography (CT scans).
It sounds like readDICOMFile{oro.dicom} should be able to read this.
Unfortunately, it won't, because my particular DICOM files have images
stored as lossless JPEG, which is not readable by the current version of
oro.dicom.  I'm working to fix this deficiency with Brandon Whichter,
project admin for oro.dicom and related packages.

       An example of such an image file is available from the R-Forge
version of oro.dicom:

install.packages("oro.dicom", repos= c("http://R-Forge.R-project.org",
getOption("repos")))
library(oro.dicom)
jpgIn.dcmFile <- system.file('jpeg/cervicalKyphosis.dcm',
                             package='oro.dicom')
str(dcm <- readDICOMFile(jpgIn.dcmFile))

       dcm$hdr provides information needed to decode the data in the
rest of the file, returned as dcm$img in this developmental version of
oro.dicom.  Row 39 tells us the data type:

 > dcm$hdr[39,]
    group element                  name code length
39  0008    2111 DerivationDescription   ST     36
                                   value sequence
39 2:1 JPEGLOSSLESSPROCFIRSTORDERREDICT

       Brandon Whichter said that the information required to decode
this type of dcm file is available in Kongji Huang and Brian Smith
(1994) "Lossless JPEG Codec", v. 1.0 <URL:
ftp://ftp.cs.cornell.edu/pub/multimed/ljpg.tar.Z>.  One way to use this
might be to install this software so it is accessible from a commands
prompt as "ljpgtopnm foo.ljpg foo.ppm", where "foo.ljpg" is an image
file in lossless JPEG format and foo.ppm is a name for the desired
decompressed output file.

       However, rather than try to invoke a systems command from within
R, I though it might be better to study the algorithm more carefully.
This identified a function DecodeImage in C++ or C, which takes an
argument of class DecompressInfo.  I thought I would try to create this
DecompressInfo argument from the information available in dcm$hdr, then
call DecodeImage (compiled C++ or C) from R.

       I don't know if it's better to use .Call or .C.

       Thanks,
       Spencer