[R] use R remotely (ssh / shell / emacs)

Martin Batholdy batholdy at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 29 02:31:56 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have a laptop and a desktop PC.
Now I was wondering, if it is possible to create a setup in which you can use the laptop (where ever you are) to remotely access the PC, open an R-instance and let the PC do the heavy computation.

I have no idea about remote control, wake-on-lan, ssh and all these things.
I just wanted to know if someone here on the list is actually working with such a setup and if, once all is configured, it works reliable.

how much work it is to set it up with an editor like emacs?
And for which buzzwords should I search the internet?

sorry if that is the wrong mailing-list for this kind of questions,
I just hope to get some input on the topic.

thanks!