[R] Are there any package for sub-sampling data

Bruce Miller batsncats at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 17:58:50 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I need to sub sample some large data sets.
The problem is using complete data samples for bats that are ± data per
1-minute time blocks using acoustic data collection and a method I
published some time back. Miller, B. W. 2001. A method for determining
relative activity of free flying bats using a new activity index for
acoustic monitoring. Acta Chiropterologica. 3: 93-105.

I am convinced after analyzing complete data for each night to derive
relative abundance and species compositions that the consultants who are
doing wind power monitoring and ONLY using 5 to 10 minute sub samples
for each hour like the first 5 or 10 minutes are missing especially eh
rare species that have only a few occurrences so misleading results.

Anyone have any suggestions to a field ecologists who is not a dyed in
the wool stats person on how to sub sample the data sets and robustly
test this hypothesis?

Happy to co-author a paper if some one is interested as I have the data.

Cheers,

Bruce

--
Bruce W. Miller, Ph.D.