[R] R- Help (looping)

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Tue Jul 31 01:10:54 CEST 2012

Hello,

Try the following.

# make up some data
dds <- 1e3
nc <- 10
xss <- data.frame(matrix(runif(nc*dds, min=-1, max=1), ncol=nc))
names(xss) <- paste0("xs", 1:10)

# two functions with descriptive names
getControlLimits <- function(x, L = 3){
     mu <- mean(x)
     sigma <- sd(x)
     c(lcl = mu - L*sigma, ucl = mu + L*sigma)
}

countOutOfControl <- function(x, L = 3){
     cl <- getControlLimits(x, L = L)
     sum( x < cl["lcl"] | x > cl["ucl"] )
}

sapply(xss, getControlLimits)    # To know why the next returns all zeros
sapply(xss, countOutOfControl)    # No values outside control limits

The data comes from an uniform in the interval (-1, 1) therefore the sd
is sqrt(1/3) = 0.577. Times 3 gives values for lcl and ucl clearly below
and above -1 and 1, respectively.  (I've tried rnorm and the counts were
not zero.)
But this is just a data example to see if the code works, and it does.

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas