[R] Significance of correlation

S Ellison S.Ellison at LGCGroup.com
Tue Jul 31 11:52:39 CEST 2012

If you have pearson correlation coefficients r calculated from n data points elsewhere, you can use a t test on
t.r <- r * sqrt( (n-2)/(1-r^2) )

You'll need to use pt() to get your p value from t.r, though.

S Ellison

I understand that to test the significance of correlation between two
PAIRED variables, the function, cor.test () can be used. However, in my
case, I have tested the correlation (i.e., Correlation Coefficient, r)
between two independent (i.e, different) variables, and now I wish to test
for the statistical significance of the correlation. Could you please
suggest how I should do that.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Chintanu