[R] Finding multiple breakpoints - 'segmented' ?

Vito Muggeo (UniPa) vito.muggeo at unipa.it
Fri Jun 1 14:21:41 CEST 2012

dear Peter,
Currently segmented handles multiple breakpoints for several variables
(the limit discussed in the msg 2006 has been fixed..).

However you are looking for a somewhat complicated model where the
breakpoint of the relationship 's.size' and 'R.AUC' depends on another
covariate 'bedekking'. Namely it is an interaction in the breakpoint
parameter (rather then in a linear parameter).

Currently segmented is not able to deal with these interactions, and
splitting up the data into two or three groups according the values of
bedekking could be a feasible alternative.

Hope this helps you,

vito

Il 01/06/2012 11.35, Peter Hoitinga ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> I'm attempting to find multiple breakpoints in an association of my
> response variable (R.AUC) with two explanatory variables ('s.size' and
> 'bedekking'). The association between 's.size' and 'R.AUC' shows a
> plateau, but the value when this plateau is reached is differs for
> different values of 'bedekking'.
>
> Initially I thought these different values could be assessed by the
> 'segmented' function in the package of the same name, but this only
> seems to give one value of a breakpoint for each explanatory variable.
> A similar issue was treated in the following message from 2006:
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2006-January/086446.html
>
> Does anybody know whether there are any packages that do have a
> function for this? Or might it be a possibility to split up the data
> per value of 'bedekking' and then do the segmented function?

Vito M.R. Muggeo
Dip.to Sc Statist e Matem `Vianelli'
Università di Palermo
viale delle Scienze, edificio 13