[R] Seeking pointers to various regression techniques with R?

Peter Ehlers ehlers at ucalgary.ca
Wed Jun 6 01:18:03 CEST 2012

You mention 3 models. In all of them, the '-1' simply removes
the intercept term; help('formula') explains the use of '-'
in general.

1. lm(y~ x * w - 1)  is clearly explained in help('formula');
2. lm(y~ x:w - 1)   ditto (and this is a model to avoid);
3. lm(y~ x/w - 1)   this is equivalent to lm(y~ x + w %in% x - 1)
where the %in% operator is explained in help('formula'). A good
and simple example is found in the MASS book (chapter 6) the code
for which is available in the 'Scripts' subfolder of library/MASS
of your R installation.

Peter Ehlers