[R] remove leading slash

Peter Langfelder peter.langfelder at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 19:50:21 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 10:25 AM, David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2012, at 1:11 PM, Ben quant wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> How do I change this:
>>>
>>> cnt_str
>>
>> [1] "\002" "\001" "\102"
>>
>> ...to this:
>>>
>>> cnt_str
>>
>> [1] "2" "1" "102"
>>
>> Having trouble because of this:
>>>
>>> nchar(cnt_str[1])
>>
>> [1] 1
>

> "\001" is ASCII cntrl-A, a single character.
>
> ?Quotes   # not the first, second or third place I looked but I knew I had
> seen it before.

If you still want to obtain the actual codes, you will be able to get
the number using utf8ToInt from package base or AsciiToInt from
package sfsmisc. By default, the integer codes will be printed in base
10, though.

A roundabout way, assuming your are on a *nix system, would be to
dump() cnt_str into a file, say tmp.txt, then run in a shell (or using
system() ) something like

sed --in-place 's/\\//g' tmp.txt

to remove the slashes, then use

cnt_str_new = read.table("tmp.txt")

in R to get the codes back in. I'll let you iron out the details.

Peter