[R] Why is my data always imported as a list?

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 18:36:15 CEST 2012

They aren't quite lists --- they are actually data.frame()s which are
a special sort of list with rownames and other nice things.

To your immediate question, I think you're looking for the formula interface:

boxplot(Value ~ State.Fips, data = CB_un)

The data= argument is important so boxplot knows where to look for
"Value" and "State.Fips"

Best,
Michael