[R] R <--> JVM

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 18:48:27 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM,  <ANGELO.LINARDI at bancaditalia.it> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> first of all thanks to both of you for your fast response.
> Going back to Michael's wonderful ASCII art masterpiece, what we have now is something like this:
>
> -------  JVM -----------
>
>   ----  JAVA  ----
>
>          JDBC
>        Algorithm
>    ---- JAVA ----
> -------  JVM -----------
>           RNI
>
> What we want is something like the following (on the same virtual machine):
>
> -------  JVM1 -----------                       -------  JVM2 -----------
>
>   ----  JAVA  ----                             ----  JAVA  ----
>
>          JDBC                                          JDBC
>               |                                                |
>               |                                                |
>        Algorithm                                       Algorithm
>               |                                                |
>    ---- JAVA ----                              ---- JAVA ----
> -------  JVM1 -----------                       -------  JVM2 -----------
>              |                                         |
>           RNI                                       RNI
>              |                                         |
>             R(1)                                               R(2)
>
> My question is: is that possible ? How can I address R(1) from JVM1 and R(2) from JVM2 ? Is data calculated in R(1) and R(2) completely independent or the 2 instances "share" something in memory ?

Best I understand it (and RNI seems Windows-only so I can't verify)
you have nothing to worry about. As long as you start 2 R processes
(which seems to be the only thing that could happen with two JVMs) the
memory should be kept independently. The only exception I can think of
is that if you choose to install a new package on one R process it
might be available to the other as a read-only resource (but I'm not
sure even this would happen depending on how your VM handles that bit)
but data integrity should be guaranteed.

Michael