[R] A basic design question for R

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Sat Jun 16 19:17:25 CEST 2012

Hello,

Follow this example. It uses a list to hold the mortality curves.
Since there are only two different gender/age combinations, it first
gets all such unique combinations and then creates a list of the
appropriate length. Then assigns a matrix to the first list element.

DF <- read.table(text="
Gender  Age
  M          70
  F           65
  M          70
", header=TRUE)

# get unique gender&age
nms <- unique(apply(DF, 1, paste, collapse="."))
n <- length(nms)

# Create a list:
#   list are meant to hold any type of related objects
mort.curve <- vector("list", n)
names(mort.curve) <- nms

# Assign a value to its 1st element
mort.curve[[ 1 ]] <- matrix(1:12, nrow=4)
mort.curve$M.70  # see it
mort.curve[[ "M.70" ]]  # the same
mort.curve[[ nms[1] ]]  # the same

Alternatively, if you want each data.frame row to correspond to its own
list element, the list would be vector("list", nrow(DF)). Anyway, list
are very flexible, and the premier choice for that sort of problem.

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas