[R] help with xy.coords(x,y)

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Jun 19 16:47:18 CEST 2012

On Jun 18, 2012, at 9:53 PM, adamshun wrote:

> i am working on the project to analyze hedge fund performance, i would
> appreciate that if you guys could spare some time helping me out
> with the R
> code. Thanks.
>
> The senario is:
>
> i applied BOXPLOT() to plot the performance of all hedge funds with 7
> strategies.
>
> And right now in this boxplot I need to plot the points of 30
> individual
> hedge funds from my portfolio. And I applied POINTS() and TEXTXY()
> to label
> these points.
>
> There are 30 funds in my portfolio with 7 different strategies.
>
> "FundName"(fundNames), "fundStrats", "Return"(fundrets)
>

> Here is my code:
>
> for(i in 1:T){
> # T equals to the amount of strategies in my portfolio
>
> strat = portStrats[i];
> #get strategy
>
> portidx = fundStrats == strat;
> # identify portfolio funds of the same strategy
>

> frets = fundrets[portidx];
> fnames = fundNames[portidx];
> #get returns and names,” frets”: fund return, “fnames”:fund name
>
> N = length(frets);
>
> s = 1 / N;                   #now figure out where to put the labels
> for (j in 1:N){
> yy = j * s + i*1;
> points(x=frets[j],y=yy,col="red");
> textxy(X=frets[j],Y=yy,labs=fnames[j]);
> }
>
> }
>
> Right now the question is that, The ERROR is Error in xy.coords(x,
> y) : 'x'
> and 'y' lengths differ.
> So how to fix it?

You posted a very similar question on SO and have gotten specific
advice about what was needed for resolution. You have so far not
responded constructively to those suggestions. Please choose one venue
for your questions and stick with it. Cross-posting is deprecated on
Rhelp. The SO advice to post a data example that creates the error
appears on point. Both of those points are outlined in the Rhelp
Posting Guide. If you choose to continue on Rhelp then I suggest you
delete the SO question.

--
David.