[R] array complexity for the MH test

francogrex francogrex at mail.com
Wed Jun 20 19:05:35 CEST 2012

If we take the matel-haenszel test on these data  of five 2x2  tables
stratified along Penicillin.Levels
array(c(0, 0, 6, 5,
        3, 0, 3, 6,
        6, 2, 0, 4,
        5, 6, 1, 0,
        2, 5, 0, 0),
      dim = c(2, 2, 5),
      dimnames = list(
          Delay = c("None", "1.5h"),
          Response = c("Cured", "Died"),
          Penicillin.Level = c("1/8", "1/4", "1/2", "1", "4")))

The test works fine. How would one proceed for example if within each
Penicillin level we have two sub 2x2 tables split along the gender ...?
I mean practically how would that array be and when you have multiple
stratification levels how practical it is to work that into that array
structure above? Can one not have a different data.frame structure that the
test likes as well, or should we use another package (like the meta
package)?