[R] populating a large matrix

Nick Matzke matzke at berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 20 22:12:09 CEST 2012

Hi! Thanks for the replies, comments below:

On 6/20/12 3:26 AM, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
>       Hello,
>
>    For an optimization strategy, we need to know more: do you have many
> variables? do you have many different formulae? do you re-calculate
> after changing only one variable?
>
>       Take care
>       Oliver

The probability of each transition (each cell in the matrix)
will be a function of 1-5 variables, depending on the
complexity of the model.  And actually I am going to use a
Bayesian MCMC approach, changing variables one at a time and
accepting/rejecting the move using Metropolis-Hastings.

(However, I am interested in complementing this with an ML
approach, if you have any advice.)

I've got some libraries working for exponentiating large
matrices, so the main issue is just re-calculating the
relative rates for each cell when a variable changes.

This might work as a function that is called once instead of
for every cell, I will explore this:

On 6/19/12 8:32 PM, Joshua Wiley wrote:
 > Hi Nick,
 >
 > Off the cuff:
 >
 > doit2<- function(s, d, e) {
 >    matrix(c(s, d, d*d, e, s, d*e, e*e, e*d, s), 3,
byrow=FALSE)
 > }
 >
 > doit2(s, d, e)
 >
 > seems like it should offer a substantial speed up.
Unless the matrix
 > can be populated with arbitrary formulae, I do not see
why it should
 > be a text matrix and then evaluated.  If you have not
already, I would
 > also encourage you to check out OpenMx.  It is a rather
flexible
 > matrix optimizer, and you may be able to get it to do
what you want.

http://openmx.psyc.virginia.edu/docs/OpenMx/latest/Likelihood_Matrix.html