[R] RODBC to access a web server

Brett Robinson brett.robinson at 7dials.com
Thu Jun 21 18:17:31 CEST 2012

Hi, I have tried to figure this out from the help files and lists but not managed it

I can access a local MySQL database from R running on my Windows XP PC. What I want to do is access a MySQL database on a linux web server, for which I have admin access.  I can't figure out how to set up  odbcConnect. For local access I set up a dsn via the windows admin interface. I have tried to set up dsn for access to our web server by providing the IP address and user id and passwords but get the error below.

"Connection failed: [HY000] [MySQL] [ODBC 5.1 Driver]Host 'host86-180-150-32.range86-180.btcentralplus.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server"

Thanks
Brett