[R] using multiple cpu's - scaling in processing power

Drew Tyre atyre2 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 13:41:53 CEST 2012

Hi Soren

Have you looked into using the condor scheduler
(http://research.cs.wisc.edu/condor/)? I'm not aware of it linking up
with multicore or other parallel processing code inside R, but I've
used it to run multiple R processes on a variable number of processors
where N can both increase and decrease over time.

hth

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 5:11 AM, soren wilkening <me at censix.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> In the past I have worked with parallel processing in R where a function F
> is applied to the elements of a list L. The more cpu cores one has, the
> faster the process will run. At the time of launching the process for (F,L)
> I will have a certain fixed number of cpu's that I can use. I have tested
> this approach and it works fine (i.e. package 'multicore' , using 'mapply' )
>
> But now I am encountering a slightly different situation.
>
> I have a task (F,L) that will run for a *long* time (a week) even if I have
> N cpu's processing it. N is the maximum possible number cpus that I can use,
> however they will not all be available when I start the process.
> So the problem is that, when I start the process, I may have only
> n1 < N cpu's at my disposal. AFter some time, I then have
> n1 < n2 < N cpu's at my disposal. After some more time, I have
> n2 < n3 < N cpu's  and finally, at one point, I will have
> N cpu's that I can work with. I "scale in" cpu power over the duration of
> the process. Why this is the case does not matter. Essentially I cannot
> control when new cpu's become available nor how many of them will become
> available at that point.
>
> With this I cannot use the standard approach above, where all the cpu cores
> have to be available before I launch the process !!
>
> It would help me if someone knew if R offered a solution for this type of
> processing. But I would also be happy for pointers to non-R resources that
> could deal with this.
>
> Thanks
>
> Soren
>

> -----