[R] plotting two histograms on one plot with hist function

John Kane jrkrideau at inbox.com
Wed Jun 27 15:42:40 CEST 2012

   -----Original Message-----
   From: mblig at sun.ac.za
   Sent: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 08:32:24 +0200
   To: jrkrideau at inbox.com, keren at math.montana.edu
   Subject: RE: [R] plotting two histograms on one plot with hist function

   Thank you for all the advice!  After mailing the question, I actually found
   a function called multhist (plotrix package) that plots two data sets (in
   single list) on a single histogram.

   Trust Jim to be there ahead of everyone!

   The script is as follows:

   #I listed to two data sets in “long” format  in a .csv file

   input <- read.csv(file= "list.csv", h = TRUE)

   library(plotrix)

                   #to plot two data sets on one histogram

   multhist(input, xlab="Label”, ylab="Frequency", col=c("Red", "Green"),
   ylim=c(0,50))

                   #to add a legend to the top left corner

                     legend("topleft",   c("Dataset   1","Data  set  2"),
   cex=0.6,bty="n", fill=c("Red","Green"))

   Thanks again for the help!