[R] How to apply two parameter function in data frame

jon waterhouse jonwaterhouse at gov.nl.ca
Tue Mar 6 21:15:53 CET 2012

I know this is something simple that I cannot do because I do not yet "think"
in R.

I have a data frame has a variable participation (a factor), and several
other factors.

I want a chisq test (no contingency tables) for participation vs all of the
other factors.

In SPSS I would do:

CROSSTABS
  /TABLES= (my other factors) BY participation
  /FORMAT=NOTABLES
  /STATISTICS=CHISQ
  /COUNT ROUND CELL.

In R I have tried something like:

mapply(chisq.test,participation,surv3[,names(surv3) %in% c('q10','q44')])

which should be effectively the same as

chisq.test(participation,q10)
chisq.test(participation,q44)

except maybe I could store the results better....

but I get told that x and y are not the same length, and in this case,
length() of the y argument is 2, which yes, is not the number of rows in the
data frame.

I'm not sure that it is mapply, rather than lapply that I want

Thanks,

Jon