[R] Warnings when plotting after x11() in R 2.14.2

Mark Seeto markseeto at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 21:03:32 CET 2012

Dear R-help,

I recently upgraded from R 2.13.1 to R 2.14.2 and now get warning
messages when plotting after using x11(). Example:

> plot(rnorm(10))    ### no warnings

> x11(); plot(rnorm(10))
Warning messages:
1: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
2: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
3: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
4: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
5: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
6: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
7: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
8: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
9: In title(...) : Font family not found in Windows font database
10: In title(...) : Font family not found in Windows font database

> plot(rnorm(10))    ### After using x11(), I get warnings even when x11() is not used
There were 18 warnings (use warnings() to see them)
> warnings()
Warning messages:
1: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
2: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
3: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
4: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
5: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
6: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
7: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
8: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
9: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
10: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
11: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
12: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
13: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
14: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
15: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
16: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
  Font family not found in Windows font database
17: In title(...) : Font family not found in Windows font database
18: In title(...) : Font family not found in Windows font database

This happens in both the 32 and 64 bit versions of R 2.14.2, and it
also happens with ggplot2 plots. I'm using RGui on Windows 7. It did
not happen with R 2.13.1.

It's not a major problem, because the plots still appear to be
produced correctly, but if anyone can tell me how to fix it, I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mark Seeto