[R] Correlation between 2 matrices but with subset of variables

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 03:29:18 CET 2012

Well, it would be possible to set something up to select out just the
right pairs each time, but on my system the following

a <- matrix(rnorm(40 * 732), 40)
b <- matrix(rnorm(40 * 1230), 40)

system.time(cor(a,b,method = "pearson"))

takes about a tenth of a second so any more elective approach will
probably loose in the interpreter time needed for all the subsetting.
The slowest calculation  of this sort (Kendall correlation) takes
about 30 seconds.

In short, just do cor(A,B, method = "pearson") and then subset from
the overall correlation matrix.

Michael