[R] How to fit a line through the "Mountain crest", i.e., through the highest density of points - in a "loess-like" fashion.

Emmanuel Levy emmanuel.levy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 01:55:05 CET 2012

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply - I posted a second message where I
provide a "dummy" example, entitled
"How to improve the robustness of "loess"? - example included".

I need to fit a curve which makes it a bit difficult to work with kde2d only.

I'm actually trying to use kde2d in combination with loess - basically
I give the output density of kde2d as weights in the "loess" function.
It seems to give nice results :)

In my second post I wrote that the "weight" option did not work but
that's because I was writing "weigth" - not sure why I did not get an
error message.

I'll post the lines of code as a reply to the second post.

All the best,

Emmanuel