[R] (Fisher) Randomization Test for Matched Pairs: Permutation Data Setup Based on Signs

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 03:17:01 CET 2012

In general, I *think* this is a hard problem (it sounds knapsack-ish)
but since you are on small enough data sets, that's probably not so
important: if I understand you right, this little function will help
you.

plusminus <- function(n){
    t(as.matrix(do.call(expand.grid, rep(list(c(-1,1)), n))))
}
plusminus(3)
plusminus(5)

If you multiply the output of this function by your data set you will
have rows corresponding to all possible sign choices: e.g.,

plusminus(3) * c(1,2,3)

Then you can colSums() using only the positive elements:

x <- plusminus(3) * c(1,2,3)
x[x < 0] <- 0

colSums(x)

To wrap this all in one function: I'd do something like this:

test.statistic <- function(v){
    m <- t(as.matrix(do.call(expand.grid, rep(list(c(-1, 1)), length(v)))))
    x <- m * v
    x[x<0] <- 0
    out <- rbind(m * v, colSums(x))
    rownames(out)[length(rownames(out))] <- "Sum of Positive Elements"
    out
}

X <- test.statistic(c(-16, -4, -7, -3, -5, +1, -10))
X[,1:10]

Hopefully that helps (I'm a little fuzzy on your overall goal -- so
that second bit might be a red herring)

Michael