[R] barplot and NA

John D. Muccigrosso internetj at muccigrosso.org
Mon Mar 12 05:22:58 CET 2012

Am I wrong that barplot is supposed to just skip NAs, and continue with the rest of the data in a matrix column? That's how I read various posts on the subject.

But that's not what happens for me with R64.app (on a Mac, obviously). For example:

d0 <- as.matrix(c(2,3,4))
d1 <- as.matrix(c(2,3,NA))
d2 <- as.matrix(c(2,NA,4))
d3 <- as.matrix(c(NA,3,4))
barplot(d0)
barplot(d1)
barplot(d2)
barplot(d3)

generates four bar plots. The first has one bar with three visible bands, as expected. The second has two bands; still OK. But the third has only one band (at 2) and the fourth has none.

So it appears that barplot is barfing on those NAs and stopping its plot at those points.

Is that the expected behavior?

Thanks.

John