[R] Panel models: Fixed effects & random coefficients in plm

Millo Giovanni Giovanni_Millo at Generali.com
Mon Mar 12 18:42:47 CET 2012

Hello.
Such a procedure is not implemented in 'plm' but you can probably get
around to do what you want. One possible way (my preferred one) is to
demean the data by both dimensions as you would do for a two-way FE
model, and then estimate a random parameters model on the demeaned data.
This would get you rid of fixed effects both ways, although inducing
correlation in the residuals (something I don't think is particularly
harmful in your case, but this is just a quick opinion...). To do this
you can in fact use infrastructure from 'plm', e.g. using model.matrix()
and pmodel.response(); or you can do it by hand in base R.

Another way is to explicitly add time and individual dummies, including
'as.factor(<indvar>)' and 'as.factor(<timevar>)' to the specification;
this way, though, you will be estimating the relative coefficients as
random parameters instead than fixed as well.

A third possibility, outside 'plm', is to check in the 'nlme' package
(lme() function) whether such a specification is possible at all: I
think it is, putting the two sets of dummies as "fixed" parameters and
your beta at "random".

Best wishes,
Giovanni

Giovanni Millo, PhD