[R] geom_plot creates Area Instead Of Lines

kyleR fcmeister at gmx.de
Wed Mar 14 12:17:07 CET 2012

Hi,

I have created a large (?) data frame.  I have one variable to plot, lets
call it X. further X has been observed under conditions Y, Z. And the
observation took place at times T (0:10e5). Now my data frame D consists of
x,y,z,t each corresponding to the combination of X, Y, Z and T.  I would
like to create different plots and use this:

h <- ggplot(D, aes(y=x, x=t))
h + geom_line(data=subset(subset(D,y=someThing),z=thingSome))
+geom_line(data=subset(subset(D,y=someThingElse),z=ThingSomeElse));

Now the issue is that T is a vector of repeated sequences from 0 to 10e5
(something like 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3).  This way X corresponds to the correct
time of measurement FOR MANY REPEATED MEASUREMENTS.

>From the above code I get something very similar to what i want – only that
the individual lines for X vs T which  I was expecting seem to be just one
coloured area between Xmax and Xmin for each T.

http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n4471583/Rpot.png

What I would have liked is something like a cloud of lines, similar to what
I get when I convert the data into a matrix (why do I not just use a matrix?
I come from MATLAB and this seems natural, however, my data is large and a
data frame seems to be an advantageous way to handle that).

On  side note, generating this “area” plot takes AGES, idk where I got so
inefficient in my approach or whether this is unavoidable, but this is
really … upsetting.

Any help is very much appreciated.