[R] replicating C example from the Extensions Manual problem

Erin Hodgess erinm.hodgess at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 07:03:59 CET 2012

Dear R People:

Here is something that I am sure is very simple.  I'm just trying to
re-create the C convolution example in the Extensions manual.  Here is
the subroutine:

void convolve(double *a, int *na, double *b, int *nb, double *ab)
{
R_len_t i, j, nab = *na + *nb - 1;
for(i = 0; i < nab; i++)
ab[i] = 0.0;
for(i = 0; i < *na; i++)
for(j = 0; j < *nb; j++)
ab[i + j] += a[i] * b[j];
}

And here are the results from trying to compile:

erin at ubuntu:~$ R CMD SHLIB convolve.c
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -O3 -pipe  -g -c
convolve.c -o convolve.o
convolve.c: In function ‘convolve’:
convolve.c:3:1: error: unknown type name ‘R_len_t’
make: *** [convolve.o] Error 1

What is wrong, please?

This is on Ubuntu 11.10 with R-2.14.2.  I'm sure that it's totally goofy.

Thanks,
Erin

--
Erin Hodgess