[R] aggregate

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Thu Mar 15 09:25:19 CET 2012

Hi

> Dear all I am having a vector with large length and I would like to ask
> you if I can aggregate the values by constant sized windows. For example

> for the following vector, I would like to take 30 points until the end
> and find their mean.
>

> > myData<-seq(1:100000)
> >
> > c(mean(myData[1:30]),mean(myData[31:60])) #...and so one until the end
> [1] 15.5 45.5
>
> I have searched in the R documentation and I found the aggregate but it
> seems to operate on data.frames. It also has this by argument where I

Why do you think so? Aggregate works on any suitable object, e.g. vector.

> tried to set it to 30 but it expects there a list rather than a numeric
value.

>From help page
by
a list of grouping elements, each as long as the variables in x.

the only thing what aggregate wants is

list(some.vector.with.the.same.length.as.variable.you.want.to.aggregate)

as some categorical data according to what you want to perform the
function operation.

Regards
Petr