[R] Accessing variable's name as an attribute?

Rui Barradas rui1174 at sapo.pt
Thu Mar 15 18:47:59 CET 2012

Hello,

> What I want to do with each iteration of the loop I want to create another
> uniquely named
> groupedData object - I just don't know how to assign a unique variable
> name.

The best way should be to create a list of groupedData objects. Along the
lines of

library(nlme)

n <- 100
df1 <- data.frame(A=sample(LETTERS[1:5], n, T),
		B=sample(letters[1:5], n, T),
		C1=rnorm(n),
		C2=rnorm(n))

factorsList <- colnames(df1)
# First initialize to object of class 'list'
dataset <- list()
for(i in 3:4){
	# If you want another name for each groupedData object:
	# grname <- paste("gr", factorsList[i], sep="")
	grname <- factorsList[i]
	dataset[[ grname ]] <- groupedData(df1[, i] ~ A | B, data=df1)
}

str(dataset)

# Now use their unique names with the operator '$' or with '[['
dataset$C1
Grouped Data: df1[, i] ~ A | B
    A B           C1           C2
1   C e  0.001311565  2.237548657