[R] cannot load shared object /usr/lib/R/library/grDevices/libs//cairo.so

beltrand jammon101 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 15 21:53:21 CET 2012

I have figured it out.

It turns out that it is not a R problem. libfontconfig.so.1 links to
libfreetype, it happens that there are two sets of libfreetype files in my
system, one from Ubuntu and another from xampp. When the php script is run
to invoke R it uses the libfreetype files in /opt/lampp/lib which are out of
date, so R/cairo.so could not load. Copying the updated version of
libfreetype* from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ into /opt/lampp/lib overwritting
the outdated version solved the problem. I suppose I could also change some
environmental variables with something like export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/