[R] a question about writing C extensions to functions

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sun Mar 18 15:43:06 CET 2012

On 16.03.2012 18:08, Erin Hodgess wrote:
> Dear R People:
>
> I'm not sure if I should ask this here or in Rcpp,

Why is this related to Rcpp?

> but I thought I'd
> start here first.
>
> If I'm writing a C program, when do I know to use SEXP vs. int or float, please?

For very short:

If you want keep some things internal to your C code, use int etc. , but
if it makes sense to use R objects (e.g. because you return things or
make use of otehr R functionality), use SEXP objects. If the latter, you
already decided to use the .Call() interface.

There is more in Writing R Extensions.

Uwe