[R] Importing files

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 03:43:25 CET 2012

The file that you set was readable.  The majority of the fields were
comma separated, so I use the comma as the field separator in the
'read.table'.  The 'tab' character appears to be the separator between
the date and time and this does not prevent reading in the data, or
parsing it later.  So here is what I got:

> x <- read.table("C:\\temp\\2196001_CALBOR_2008_Veneguera  0.act"
+     , sep = ','
+     , as.is= TRUE
+     )
> str(x)
'data.frame':   29 obs. of  4 variables:
 $ V1: chr  "ok" "ok" "ok" "ok" ...
 $ V2: chr  "05/06/07 19:08:00" "05/06/07 19:17:59" "05/06/07
19:27:59" "05/06/07 19:37:59" ...
 $ V3: num  39239 39239 39239 39239 39239 ...
 $ V4: int  9 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ...
> head(x)
  V1                V2       V3 V4
1 ok 05/06/07 19:08:00 39238.80  9
2 ok 05/06/07 19:17:59 39238.80  1
3 ok 05/06/07 19:27:59 39238.81  0
4 ok 05/06/07 19:37:59 39238.82  0
5 ok 05/06/07 19:47:59 39238.82  0
6 ok 05/06/07 19:57:59 39238.83  0

so the data is reasonable and you can work with.  So what was the
problem?   Do you want the time converted to POSIXct so you can use
it?  Do you just want to extract the value (V4)?

So I don't see any problem in processing the data.