[R] R crashes due to stats.dll

Kamil Bartoń kamil.barton at uni-wuerzburg.de
Tue Mar 20 11:58:58 CET 2012

Dnia 2012-03-18 01:15, Ted Stankowich pisze:
> Hello!
> I've been running a looped AIC analysis using several modules including ape, nlme, and MuMIn, and
> during one particularly long analysis, R (ver 2.14.12) crashes several minutes into the routine with
> the simple message "R for windows GUI front-end has stopped working". I'm using a brand new laptop
> with Windows 7, i7 processor, 8GB RAM. I've tried it on both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions of R.
> Using the 64 bit version, the analysis makes it through a few iterations before it crashes (maybe
> about 20-25 min into the test).
<...>
> Does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong here?

I assume you're using MuMIn::dredge. If so, most likely the model fitting function with some
combination of parameters causes the crash. You can use 'trace = TRUE' argument for 'dredge' to find
out which model is it. To see the output after the crash, use either R in console (not RGUI) or
divert the output to a file with 'sink'.

kamil