[R] how calculate seasonal component & cyclic component of time series?

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 21 11:25:39 CET 2012

On 21-03-2012, at 08:10, sagarnikam123 wrote:

> i am new to time series,whatever i know up till now,from that
> i have uploaded time series file & what to build arma model,but for that i
> want p & q values(orders)
> tell me how to calculate best p & q values to find best AIC values for model
>
> i am doing but giving error
>> bhavar<-read.table(file.choose())  #taking time series file

It's a file of numbers.

>> decompose(bhavar$V1)
> Error in decompose(bhavar$V1) : time series has no or less than 2 periods
>
> what this error is telling ?

You asked a very similar question 8 days ago.
You were given answers.
If you want to use HoltWinters or decompose you will have to set the frequency of your time series to something > 1.
You were told how to do that.
You were also told to have a look at the forecast package.

Berend