[R] "cannot change working directory"

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 17:59:13 CET 2012

list.dirs() will list the directories in that file exactly as R sees
them. If you are getting can't change working directory messages I can
only think of two reasons:

i) File permissions (though that's unlikely to get messed up unless
there's someone around who knows how to do that in the first place)
ii) You don't actually have the right wd name.

So like I said, please give the output of

list.dirs("/Users/user/Desktop/Recorded results/", recursive = FALSE)

and then try something like

setwd(list.dirs("/Users/user/Desktop/Recorded results/", recursive =
FALSE)[XXX])

where XXX is the number of the path that gives the Wednesday files.
normalizePath() might also help.

If you really want to check the file permissions route, this will be a start

system("ls -hFGlxo /Users/user/Desktop/Recorded results")

but you'll probably need some help to interpret the output.

Michael