[R] Doubts about mixed effect models

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed Mar 21 20:52:28 CET 2012

Post this on the r-sig-mixed=models list rather than here.

However, fwiw, it is nonsense to estimate a random effect with a
sample size of 3. That's trying to estimate variance with a sample
size of 3. You can't do it with any meaningful precision. Whether or
not the effect really **is** conceptually random is beside the point.
I suggest you cross off your list of statistical advisers anyone who
says otherwise.

Entropy cannot be denied!

-- Bert