[R] calling java from R and using java time series double precision array

Hurr hill0093 at umn.edu
Thu Mar 22 05:53:05 CET 2012

I haven't had time to try using R for over a year, but have a colleage who
wants to.
We work with time series and our current version of our calendar-time
subroutines in
java converts both directions between linear time and calendar.
We have used calendar time since year 1965 starting out then with Fortran.
Calendar time can be CnYrMoDa | CnYrMoDaHr | CnYrMoDaHrMn | CnYrMoDaHrMnSc
 | CnYrMoDaHrMnScD | CnYrMoDaHrMnScDC | CnYrMoDaHrMnScDCM |
CnYrMoDaHrMnScDCMQ.
We use calendar time in string format and linear time numbers in double
precision.
Thus we can get to calendar quadiseconds (tenths of milliseconds),
and we must always have thoroughly tested subroutines.
Unit of linear time can be converted to: da | hr | mn | sc | ds | cs | ms |
qs .
Limiting this discussion to reading time series data into R,
I believe I want to have R call a java method that reads a time series into
a two dimensional array with the first column being the linear time and
the other columns being the various time series data (functions) at those
times.
I am not sure that the double precision java array can be used by R.
And I would appreciate any other comments about this kind of interface with
java.