[R] How do you distinguish between characters on a pco plot?

leannehaggerty leannehaggerty at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 18:15:56 CET 2012

I have a presence/absence matrix for which I create a distance matrix and
then perform pco analysis on.

/library(ecodist)
table <- read.table("matrix.pa")
dist <- dist(table, method = "euclidean", diag = FALSE, upper = FALSE)
dist.pco <- pco(dist)/

When I plot the pco analysis of the distance matrix I want to be able to
distinguish between certain characters, for example if the distance matrix
looks like:

http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n4496217/Screen_shot_2012-03-22_at_17.14.17.png

1, 2, 3 and 4 are the characters to be plotted. I'd like 1 and 2 to appear
as the same shape/ colour on the plot, different from 3 and 4. Is it
possible to do this?