[R] The problem of using library(bigmemory)

yehengxin at gmail.com yehengxin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 00:55:30 CEST 2012

To my understanding, library(bigmemory) should allow us to create a matrix
larger than 2GB (say 17,000 by 17,000) by temporarily storing the data on
harddisk.  But I try the following codes to create such a matrix.

library(bigmemory)
A <- big . matrix (17000 , 17000 , type ="double", init = 0)

But I got error message:
Error: memory could not be allocated for instance of type big.matrix

I wonder if there are anything wrong in my codes.  Thank you!