[R] copy the columns based on the code

Rui Barradas rui1174 at sapo.pt
Mon Mar 26 16:26:30 CEST 2012

Hello,

> The problem is that it gives the result that I want

Oh dear, it shouldn't?

>  The idea is based on the column of source and intended Identify the
> cities and put a new data structure
>
> The idea is something like this.
> pos Source     city       Destine  city_destine
> 1      1       Barcelona   2       Madrid
> 1      1       Barcelona   3       Lisbon
> 2      3       Lisbon      4       Milan
> 3      2       Madrid      4       Milan

Try the following.

temp1 <- merge(travel, city, by.x='Source', by.y='cod')
temp2 <- merge(temp1, city, by.x='Destine', by.y='cod')
temp2[, c(3, 2, 4, 1, 5)]

The general idea is obvious, I believe: you want to relate 'cod/city' from
table 'city' with
two columns of table 'travel', one is source and the other is destine. So
you need to merge the tables twice.

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas