[R] writing output directly to file; sink?

Diann Prosser dprosser at usgs.gov
Mon Mar 26 22:08:20 CEST 2012

Thank you, Jim! I was just trying this as you wrote. Testing it on a small
sample - it seems to work!
I am curious - I removed the data that was stored in memory (using rm()),
and checked to see that it was gone using ls() - and it was; but I didn't
see a concurrent reduction in the Memory Usage on my Performance Window. Did
the rm() actually free up memory (it didn't seem to)?

Many thanks for your response!

PS - for any interested, the sink function did not help. My vector was
longer that what is printed, so when I checked the file, only part of the
data was there. But save definitely seems to be the way to go here.