[R] detecting time out on download.file command

Hugh Shanahan hugh at cs.rhul.ac.uk
Tue Mar 27 11:05:17 CEST 2012

Hi,
       I'm working with a legacy R script which makes use of the
download.file command. We're having a problem that occasionally we get a
time out from a particular FTP site but the function that does this
doesn't pass that information back to the main function that calls it.
I'm aware that it is possible to set a timeout using the options command
but I don't know how to check if a timeout has been executed. If I put
the command into a try block could I get the information there ?

All the best,
Hugh

Hugh Shanahan				Department of Computer Science
Lecturer in Bioinformatics	        Room 246 McCrea Building
E-mail : Hugh.Shanahan at rhul.ac.uk	Royal Holloway,
Web : http://www.shanahanlab.org	University of London
Tel : +44 (0)1784 443433		Egham, Surrey TW20 0EX
Fax : +44 (0)1784 439786		England, U.K.

PGP Key  http://www.cs.rhul.ac.uk/~hugh/PGP/public_key.asc