[R] row, col function but for a list (probably very easy question, cannot seem to find it though)

MBoersma markboersma at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 15:24:20 CEST 2012

Thanks guys for all the replies.

"It is an urban myth that using 'apply' functions will deliver better
performance than 'for' loops. It may even worsen performance or create
obstacles when it is improperly used with dataframes. Most of the
benefits come from improving readability and maintainability."

This is what I had to learn the "hard way": apply functions made it go
slower :) I do understand them much better now, also in the light of some of
these ways of using them.

In the end my program became much faster by making the data frames matrices,
and even more by finally seeing the "light" (courtesy of a colleague for
getting me to think in the right direction) and making much more of it into
a matrix operation. I'm very happy with the results :).

So consider me helped!

Regards,
Mark