[R] How to test for the difference of means in population, please help

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 17:45:58 CEST 2012

You should use mixed effects modeling to analyze data of this sort.
This is not a topic that has generally been covered by introductory
classes, so you should consult with a professional statistician on
your problem, or educate yourself well beyond the novice level (this
takes more than just reading 1 book, a few classes would be good to
get to this level, or intense study of several books).

Since everything is balanced nicely, you could average over the 4
repeats and use a 2 sample t test (assuming the assumptions hold, your
sample data would be fine) comparing the 2 sets of 400 means.  This
will test for a general difference in the overall means, but ignores
other information and hypotheses that may be important (which is why
the mixed effects model approach is much preferred).