[R] SVM. How to use categorical attributes?

Wed Mar 28 15:54:31 CEST 2012

Hi,

These suggestions still require you to explicitly compute your feature
space or kernel matrix first, which might kill you memory wise.

You might consider taking a look at the shogun toolbox:

http://www.shogun-toolbox.org/

With some digging, I'm pretty sure you'll find a bag-of-words type of
kernel there (it's related to the spectrum kernel, which you can find
for searching the code base for something like "commword") ... you
might consider posting to their mailing list after you give it the
"good old college try" of sorting this out for yourself for a bit.

The R interface to the toolbox is a bit ... alien, though. I'm working
on making a nicer one but it's not quite ready for public consumption.

-steve