[R] POSIXlt vs POSIXct

Steven R Corsi srcorsi at usgs.gov
Wed Mar 28 16:06:48 CEST 2012

Hello R users

I am searching for a descriptive summary of the use of POSIXlt as
compared to POSIXct date/time formats. I have been using them
extensively for different purposes, but still can't quite understand
when to use which one for the most efficient coding and use. I typically
use them in graphics, comparison of times, interpolation of values
between times, computation of time-series parameters, and so on.

My request is simply to learn if there is a resource out there that
explains the strengths of the use of each format in different situations
and if certain situations require one over the other. My web searches
have turned up basic things like the vector form (POSIXlt) vs the
decimal form (POSIXct), but I could not find specific guidance to
understand when it is best to use one over the other.

Thanks
Steve